Sunday, January 30, 2005

I'm a late adopter

I have finally upgraded the operating system of my Macintosh to OS 10.3, "Panther". (I like to wait for all the bugs to be fixed before upgrading.) So far, it's hard to see what the excitement is all about. However, the Mail program has been considerably improved and I spend enough time with e-mail that that improvement alone is worth the effort to upgrade.

I have also finally turned on earthlink's spamBlocker. Only messages from someone in my address book come through. Someone not in my address book will see a reply from earthlink giving them a way of asking permission to get through to me. I have resisted this, but I receive on the average 90 spam messages per day. Dealing with them was getting to be too much of a hassle. (I did not see changing my address as an option. There are countless genealogical pen pals that I want to hear from and notifying them all would be extremely difficult.)

From now on, now that my finger has improved, I will try to post on this blog at least weekly.

1 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spamblocker will lighten your load considerably. It does force to keep one's address book up to date however, which I've been able to do up to this point. I've had numerous ISP's over the years and Earthlink has been, without question, the best at spam control. It simply is not a problem anymore. Pop-up adds are not an issue either, since they too have been eliminated. Was in Vegas last week for our annual convention at the Sands; thought about calling you. Then I got food poisoned and that ended any thought of doing anything constructive. Oh well....

Dave in Indy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home