Sunday, October 23, 2005

Nancy and Annie


I have been taking a course in black and white photography at UC Berkeley. I am by far the oldest in the class but far from the most talented. Recently, one of our assignments was to take a roll of photos of one person and to show the best four to the class for criticism. My daughter, Nancy Moule Rowe, agreed to be the model. Here she is with her Golden Retriever "Annie".

When I put up this photo for criticism I could tell that everyone was being polite but sensed that nobody liked it. Too ordinary. Everybody else was trying to produce "cutting edge" photos that would be at home on the wall of an avant-garde gallery. Nobody else exhibited a photo of anyone smiling. That would be too corny.

As I thought about this, I realized that not only was I older than anyone in the class but that Nancy was also-including the instructor.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger John Moule said...

I think the picture looks great, but as her brother, I may have some bias. I can see how the artsy-fartsy would be absolutely bored with it though.

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Annie looks adorable, but I suspect she's older than most of your class as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home