Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Moule's Law

Yesterday we ate lunch at Campton Place in San Francisco. Under Chef Daniel Humm, this is rated by various guidebooks as one of the best restaurants in the United States. I would have to agree.

First, I had a cauliflower and lobster soup. It was served in a shallow soup dish with a very wide rim. In the center of the dish was a small pile of lobster meat about the size of a large radish. The server poured about half a cup of soup into the bowl.

Second, I had scallops. Three scallops were served in the same style of bowl. They rested in a pool of very creative and interesting sauce.

These two dishes cost a total of $39.00. I thought about that. I compared this to other restaurant experiences, particularly an enormous breakfast served at Dot's Diner in Boulder, CO for $5.00. Then I thought of a serving of caviar at Petrossian in New York. All became clear. Moule's Law:

"The more expensive the dish, the smaller the size."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home