Thursday, March 24, 2005

Esther Power


Esther Power
Originally uploaded by jmoule.
This is a daguerreotype of Esther Power, daughter of Jacob B. Power and Polly Thrasher (whose picture I posted yesterday). The original is in poor condition. It is necessary to look at it from various angles to see anything at all. The man that copied it obviously had experience. The copy is better than the original.

My great grandmother (Esther's daughter) wrote that this picture was taken when Esther was sixteen or seventeen. That would put the date at about 1852, ten years before the Civil War. At first glance, Esther appears to have a broken arm. Not so. My great grandmother explained that she was wearing a pair of highly decorative white sleeves. To me, the sleeves appear to be a gauntlet, extending back from white gloves.

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Blogger John Moule said...

Hi dad, Rosie and I got new computers. I can now view your blog again. Nice to see you are hard at work educating us on our familly history. Someday I wish to retire and be able to focus on similar activities.
John

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great photos. I'm glad you're able to share them with us; another inovative use of technology. BTW, you mentioned Reed Moule yesterday. How is he related to us?

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger James Moule said...

My great grandfather was John Moule who lived in London, Ontario. John's youngest brother was George Moule, who lived in Buffalo, NY. His son was Reid Moule.

Reid and his wife Betty visited us in Long Beach and had dinner with our family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home