Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Cleveland

The Cleveland Orchestra was in San Francisco this evening. They played a simple program: Dvorak's Symphony Number 5 and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. The Dvorak was pleasant, but I eagerly looked forward to the Concerto for Orchestra, one of my favorite pieces.

When it was performed, I was puzzled. The sound of the orchestra was wonderful. Each individual instrument was excellent. (Great piccolo!) However, the piece as a whole did not sound like Bartok to me. The Hungarian gypsy quality was missing in the melodic sections. I look forward to reading Joshua Koshman's review in the Chronicle.

1 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger James Moule said...

Joshua Koshman reviewed this performance in the Chronicle today. He complimented the soloists and the string section and, in general agreed with my positive comments about the orchestra albeit in more elegant language than I can bring to bear.

He did not mention the aspects of the conductor's interpretation of the Bartok concerto that bothered me. He is probably much younger than I and did not grow up listening to the very early recordings.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home